Monday, May 9, 2011

The Beginning of Faux Granite Countertops

I have reinvented our shabby cabinets, painted the walls, changed out the hardware, added some tiled art over the sink and made new window treatments.  Our kitchen is beginning to come together more and more and I am getting excited.  Don't get me wrong, there is still the  ceiling to be finished, the backsplash to be completed, ceiling fans to be reinvented, and new flooring to be installed. . . AFTER I finish transforming our ugly, old faux butcher block countertops that is.  I would love to be able to go and purchase Vetrazzo and have it installed as I sit back, sip on some lemonade and watch.  Unfortunately, and fortunately ordering my dream countertops is not in the cards.  This has made way for our uniquely wonderful faux granite countertops.
Here is before:
Here is after:



Pretty impressive, huh?  How about if I tell you that this is all done with paint? AND with all the paint and supplies, it will only cost me a little over $40 to revamp all of our kitchen countertops.  For the base primer and the clear topcoat I ordered supplies from Giani.  For the colors, I just used all-purpose acrylic craft paint in the following colors: Antique White, Metallic Bronze, Earth Brown and Light Red Oxide.  I applied the colors in layers using sea sponges.  It will look even better once the clear topcoat is finished drying and the painters tape is removed. 
I sure hope that others out there are having successful decorating adventures this week too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment...